Established in the early 1850s in what is now known as old Round Rock, this cemetery is the burial ground of many area pioneers and outstanding Round Rock citizens. The oldest legible tombstone, which marks the burial site of 11-year-old Angeline Scott, bears the year 1851, although there are many unmarked graves that could date from before that time.
One-half acre in the northwest part of the 4.5 acre cemetery was used as a burial ground for slaves and freedmen during the 19th century.
Numerous war veterans are buried here, as did bank robber and outlaw Sam Bass, who died July 21, 1878, two days after being shot by Texas Rangers in Round Rock. Others buried in the cemetery include G.T. Cole, one of the few area eye doctors; Round Rock Broom Factory; owner Sam Landrum; stonemason John H. Gray; Round Rock Presbyterian Church Minister John Hudson; and Methodist circuit rider J.W. Ledbetter. One unusual tombstone, which marks the gravesite of Mary Ann Lavender, bears the date February 30, 1870.
The Round Rock Cemetery, which contains more than 2,000 graves, is a visible reminder of the early history of this part of Williamson County. The burial ground is cared for by the Round Rock Cemetery Association. Located on Sam Bass Road.