Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida
Evergreen Historic Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Broward County, Florida and is located on SE 10th Ave. in the Rio Vista area of Fort Lauderdale.
Mr. and Mrs. Ed T. King, a pioneer family in Fort Lauderdale, established Evergreen Cemetery about 1910 or 1911. Other websites give a date of circa 1879. The cemetery was plotted by Mrs. King from a portion of some 90 acres owned by the King family, who settled in Fort Lauderdale in 1895. The City purchased Evergreen Cemetery for $2,000 on June 19, 1917. The City continued to purchase parcels through 1938, which brought the total cemetery acreage to 11 acres.
Today, Evergreen Cemetery is the resting place of Fort Lauderdale's pioneering families and is one of the most-admired locations because of its heritage. The cemetery is set on Cliff Lake and the grounds are filled with lush trees that provide a serene setting amongst the historic monuments and markers.
Evergreen Historic Cemetery
Located North of 17th Street Causeway on SE 10th Avenue.
1300 SE 10th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315, (954) 745-2140
|The Jewish Section of Evergreen Cemetery|
For additional information on Evergreen Cemetery:
Fort Lauderdale History Center
Broward County Cemetery Records
Find a Grave - Evergreen Cemetery
Evergreen Cemetery Ft. Lauderdale, pioneers in not so peaceful slumber